Tuning pin size?

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 20 May 2001 09:10:33 -0700

Dan,

If the block is in good condition and the pins to be replaced are 2/0, which in
the piano you describe should be a given unless it has previously been restrung,
my 2/0 topped oversize pins will give pretty much the same results as a new
pinblock with 2/0 pins.  My 1/0 topped oversize pins will give even better
results, because they won't flagpole as much as 1/0 pins in a new pin block.

The one thing I would caution with any pins but especially mine is DO NOT
OVERTIGHTEN!  If you are used to the feel of driving oversize pins tightly into
the pin block, please remember that this is something you do not want with my
pins, because they have lower torque.  Less tightness (friction) in the pin
block will therefore give you optimum tunability and stability.  If you use a
hand reamer to prepare the holes, which is the best way in my opinion, the ideal
size is .274".

Paul