Is Bigger Better?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:47:52 -0400

At 07:53 AM 05/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am trying to provide some piano purchase guidance to my son's piano
>teacher. She wishes to find an old salvage grand of high quality for
>complete rebuilding (she wants a piano that is as good as or better than
>new, but does not cost as much) - ideally, a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin,
>Bechstein, etc. She is looking for the piano of her dreams - one that she
>will play for the rest of her life - or there abouts. Now I know (or think I
>know) that in general, within a particular piano quality/type range, bigger
>is better.

I would caution her right off that the piano of her dreams may not be
in the rebuilding of a piano, where she might have all this money invested
and come up short on expectations. Then what?  Would she be able to recoup
her investment and continue the search for the Holy Scale?

<snip>
>So there is the question. I don't play piano, so I don't have very good
>direct input/thoughts on the subject. Is bigger necessarily better (similar
>pianos otherwise), i.e. is a M&H BB a lot nicer piano than a model A for a
>home studio use? She is a good player and continuing to take lessons - her
>desire is to obtain a piano that sounds good and has an action, etc. that
>will not limit her (and her student's) playing development. Any thoughts?

I know of many large pianos in small rooms, bigger is better to the point
of what is
acceptable in its tone and what is practical in its square footage.  Besides,
the piano of her dreams is an A III in my shop, and is ready for delivery.

Regards,