Is Bigger Better?

Mon, 21 May 2001 07:51:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 21, 2001 4:53 AM
Subject: Is Bigger Better?

> I am trying to provide some piano purchase guidance to my son's piano
> teacher. She wishes to find an old salvage grand of high quality for
> complete rebuilding (she wants a piano that is as good as or better than
> new, but does not cost as much) - ideally, a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin,
> Bechstein, etc. She is looking for the piano of her dreams - one that she
> will play for the rest of her life - or there abouts. Now I know (or think
> know) that in general, within a particular piano quality/type range,
bigger
> is better....

> ... So there is the question. I don't play piano, so I don't have very
good
> direct input/thoughts on the subject. Is bigger necessarily better
(similar
> pianos otherwise), i.e. is a M&H BB a lot nicer piano than a model A for a
> home studio use? She is a good player and continuing to take lessons - her
> desire is to obtain a piano that sounds good and has an action, etc. that
> will not limit her (and her student's) playing development.

This question brings up several more questions:

What kind of budget is available for this project?  Within certain limits
the musical and performance results do not at all depend on the name found
on the fallboard of the piano. It will generally be less costly to start
with a less costly piano and put the money into the work. If the
rebuilder/remanufacturer is knowledgeable about some of the basics of how
certain piano design features affect the tone performance of the piano
he/she will be able to produce good results from just about any starting
hulk.

What kind of music will be played predominantly?  Again, within certain
limits size does not have all that much affect on the performance of the
piano through the range of music most commonly played. Remember, the 88-note
keyboard compass did not become 'standard' until relatively late in the 19th
century. The low bass of relatively short pianos can be made to sound quite
acceptable in pianos of the length your friend is considering if certain
changes are made to the original design.

Again, within certain limits the name on the front has nothing to do with
action performance. Let's face it -- most rebuilders today are going to use
Renner action components to replace whatever was there to begin with. (Or
something made to the same basic configuration and geometry.) Who cares what
name was in there to begin with? Ditto the damper tray and damper assembly.

The more I study small piano design -- and I include pianos considerably
smaller than those you're talking about here -- the more convinced I become
that they really can be made musically acceptable if we understand their
limitations and are willing to break the traditional mold as we approach
them whether as rebuilders, as designers or as manufacturers.

Regards,

Del