Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 14:39:36 -0500

>So why don't more parents bring the kids with them when shopping for a
>piano?

I think it's because the kid will spend more of their money than they would
have, and they don't want to establish that kind of precedent.

>Just a couple of weeks ago, I urged a family to upgrade to a better piano,
>and to bring their daughter to select something she is comfortable with.
>"Oh yes yes, that is a good idea.  I think she will like that."  Makes me
>wonder how much of an input she had (if any) in selecting the current piano,
>which is beneath her playing skills.
>Z! Reinhardt  RPT

Good advice. I have always told customers that choosing a piano is like
choosing a mate. It shouldn't be done by someone else on the basis of looks
or cost if the match is going to be successful. The choice is between the
pianist and the piano, based on the potential long term compatibility of
the pairing. You can't wait until the veil is lifted to start making
assessments.

If only good advice worked.

Now how do we throw a blanket over the well meaning church goer who
bypasses the selection process and buys and donates the lowest priced piano
on the planet moments after overhearing discussion of forming a piano
acquisition committee - thereby guaranteeing musical misery for at least
the next ten years by replacing a good old worn out instrument with a
really bad new one?

Ron N