Is Bigger Better?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 21:44:12 -0400

Comments interspersed below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <rbrekne@broadpark.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Is Bigger Better?

> Farrell wrote:
>
> > I am trying to provide some piano purchase guidance to my son's piano
> > teacher. She wishes to find an old salvage grand of high quality for
> > complete rebuilding (she wants a piano that is as good as or better than
> > new, but does not cost as much) -
>
> Hmmm where have I heard this before... What planet did you say she lives
on ???

I don't get your point. Planet earth. You can buy an old salvage Bechstein
for less than $5,000, put in a new board (Fandrich belly design), action
(Stanwood touchweight w/ wippen assist springs), rescale (Sanderson strings
& scaling) etc. - do a complete rebuild properly with no corners cut, all
for between $20,000 to $25,000 - less if you know the right people and work
out the right deals (she knows me and has much to offer). This should result
in a piano that is better than new and will cost WAY less than a new 6-foot
Bechstein/S&S/M&H, etc.

> > ideally, a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin,
> > Bechstein, etc. She is looking for the piano of her dreams - one that
she
> > will play for the rest of her life - or there abouts. Now I know (or
think I
> > know) that in general, within a particular piano quality/type range,
bigger
> > is better.
> >

> I would not be so sure... in anycase this kinda thing is going to vary
from
> person to person. Personally I think the best Yamaha grand  is the C3 and
for my
> part they coulda not bothered with anything bigger.. grin I know I
know.... but
> I would think that probably every piano manufacturer has a certain model /
size
> where things just came together better then their other models.

I'm gathering that. Thanks. That is in part what I was looking for.

> As far as the rest of your query goes... sounds like she wants German...

Just curious, why do you say that? Because of the lack of need for excessive
power? That soft-spoken Bechstein or Bosendorfer might work well in a small
living room/studio?

> I aggree that a piano much over 6 foot is going to be too much...

I don't think I said that. But why do you suggest bigger than 6 foot might
be too much? I agree that the only thing soundwise I seem to notice about
some big models is more roar from the bass section. One thing I would really
like to know is, from a players (good classical pianist) perspective, how
much difference does the longer keys in the bigger piano make? I see that it
would feel better as there would be less difference when pressing down on
the end of the key compared to up near the fallboard on the bigger key. I
guess, as someone else suggested, this might be a good thing for her to go
to some showrooms and play big and small pianos and see if it makes a
significant difference to her. What can you tell me about how pianists
GENERALLY feel about action advantages in the bigger piano?

> and if she finds
> a piano that she loves that is that old and doesnt need all that much work
then
> of course go for it.

What we are exploring is getting a SALVAGE piano to completely rebuild. If
it doesn't need all that much work we don't want it - the owner will want
money for it........and still not likely play/sound excellent! She is not
looking for an OK piano. She wants a fabulous piano.

> A piano that needs a complete rebuild however is going to
> sound and act quite differently then the piano she "picked"... risky
> buisness....but certainly its been done many a time..

That's the plan, Stan. Take an old, originally well made, worn out piano
that sounds and plays bad and put it new board, action, strings, bridges,
etc., etc. and hopefully make it sound and act quite differently - hopefully
very excellent!  :-)