Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 21 May 2001 23:05:19 -0700

mfarrel12,
I would like to tell you the story that I tell my clients, regarding quality
vs substandard instruments.
At the age of 7 I hounded my folks for a Trumpet. Finally at the age of 8,
they gave up and scrounged an old beat up trumpet that was laying around the
nightclubs in Juneau, Alaska, where we lived. It had one missing valve cap
and the 3rd valve stuck, most of the time. I played on that thing for 2
years, before my "Bitching" caused my parents to go to the one and only
music store and buy a used Cornet. I played on that cornet all through high
school, until the last half of my senior year. During the first halve of my
senior year, I had the opportunity to play on a brand new Selmer "Paris"
trumpet that belonged to the first chair. Her father had purchased it that
summer. She wouldn't let anyone even touch it. It cost $350.00, (In 1954
that was a hunk of dough!). I finally convinced her to just let me play it
for one minute. I picked up that trumpet and played. I WAS INSTANTLY A
BETTER TRUMPET PLAYER! I could play faster with better articulation, I could
play higher with better clarity and I had a profoundly better tone. All that
for just playing a quality instrument!
I have told this story 100's of times and it's true! I never forgot the
excitement and joy, to be that good and finally realize it.
So, you want to know how to tell a client why they should have a better
instrument for their child? Please feel free to print this out and show it
to any client you wish. Or perhaps you have had a similar happening in your
life that will equal this.
Very Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.