Is Bigger Better?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 08:11:16 -0400

"Many old U.S. (and Canadian) grands
were built to materials and workmanship standards that should make S&S
blush. Many, also, were given an overall design that was clearly superior to
the comparable S&S models. "

Forgive me for being redundant, but I have a hard time making myself believe
that an "inferior" piano can be made to be "better" than a "superior" piano.
If I understand your post, you are saying that if I pick out a
well-designed/built old piano - like the Baldwin L or the Everett you
mentioned (I know of an old junker 6 footer locally) or I suppose an A.B.
Chase, Henry F. Miller, Chickering, etc. - I can make such a piano (with all
the complete redesigning, etc.) into a piano that will be at least as
pleasing as your average new S&S or M&H? I'm not trying to pin you down for
no reason - I want to be sure that it is not really worth seeking out the
salvage S&S or M&H that of course you may have to pay $5,000 to $7,000 for.

"Are the hammer shanks square to the action rails? Most are, but there is
the odd exception such as a few of the old Chickerings. "

Could you elaborate on this just a tad? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.
I have seen many actions where the hammer shanks and/or the whippens are not
square to the rails. Look down at the top action and you see that the shanks
and whippens are at horribly divergent angles. Is that what you are talking
about? I assume this comes from a mismatch of plate
design/casting/positioning and keyframe design/placement.

And what about the effect of key length on the desirability of the piano?