A press image of Overs grand action (retraction)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 23 May 2001 01:32:14 +1000

To all on the list from an embarrassed Ron Overs,

I must apologize for accidently sending an email to the list which
was intended to be an off list communication with Jon Page.
Unfortunately Jon sent his original message to me via the list
several weeks ago, and I simply hit the reply button without checking
the delivery address, quickly knocked up the text and sent it. I am
usually very careful to check out-message addresses but I have been
working very long hours for the past two months and getting little
sleep.

Furthermore, I am also highly embarrassed at having inadvertently
released comments to the list regarding the parts we received today.
It was completely inappropriate for my comments to be posted to the
list. I wish to formerly apologise to Tokiwa for this gross error on
my part.

Since this stupid mistake has unfortunately occurred. I feel obliged
to state to the list that I am nonetheless very pleased with the
workmanship and overall accuracy of the parts which have been
manufactured for us by Tokiwa (this is not a damage control statement
here, I am genuinely please with their workmanship). Furthermore, I
have found Tokiwa to be a very good company to deal with. They have
been very helpful in producing our first actions, and I was, and
hopefully still expect to continue working with them into the future.
I must also mention that our repetition lever in particular is not
simple to manufacture. While I expect it to be no more expensive to
manufacture than a conventional action, it has many angles which must
be allowed for when setting up cutting tools. I should also mention
that the original specifications for my action were sent to Tokiwa as
jpeg images (which are not necessarily to scale). Tokiwa were mindful
of the short time available for getting the action made for the piano
we are bringing to Reno, and they commenced making parts prior to
accurately scaled drawings arriving by surface mail. I have been very
happy with the efforts they have gone to to get this action in
production.

It was the accuracy of machining and general standard of finish of
Tokiwa parts produced in recent years, which lead me to approach them
to build our actions in the first place. Their center pin bushes are
now graphite free, and the parts are very cleanly cut. They seem to
be keeping their cutters sharp which is resulting in cleanly cut
parts.

As a footnote to this. Should any of you reply to my earlier message
on the list, would you please refrain from re-posting my earlier
message. It's bad enough that my original message was posted to the
list. It would be better not to have further copies reverberating
around the ether. Please delete my earlier message from your files.
Thank you for this.

Ron Overs
Overs Pianos
--