Kids and Pianos

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 22 May 2001 13:19:34 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

    Terry Farrell wrote:

How do I
explain to Mrs. AnypianowilldoforSusie that tenth-year-of-lessons Susie's
playing progress would benefit from a good quality grand piano rather than
that old ratty spinet. And what can we do about these %&*# piano teachers
that teach on some gastly holding-together-with-scotch-tape-and-super-glue
old &+#$ uprights? How do we tell them??????"

    I applaud, Terry. Simply tell them that the instrument that they play on
has to be capable of conveying expression. In short, you have to be able to
make music on it- with it. If they don't understand that, then they do it to
make money.  (The music teachers, that is. Beethoven was deaf after the
Fifth Symphony anyway, saved alot on tuners fees I bet.)

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com

+ + + + +

Now really, would you want your kids to learn to drive in a car that barely
did 20mph, brakes barely working, and steering that made it very difficult
to turn to the right?  What will you do when the kids are ready to drive on
main drags and freeways?  (Now watch those parents cringe if they understand
the analogy.)

Straight out of Detroit
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI