Air Hammer revisited

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 06:41:12 -0400

Hey Carl. Thanks for the input. Interesting. Questions/comments interspersed
below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@home.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: Air Hammer revisited

> Jeannie, Farrel, Tom and all you other air heads, I mean hammer heads, I
> mean whoever:

Da, er, um, hey, who you talkin' to????

> I bought a Danair nailer and then ordered a 7/8 inch sleeve to cover my
> intermediate punch that I described.
>
> I talked to the sales manager of Danair and he described the special tip
for
> Baldwin.
>
> The basic nailer tips plunger is about 1/4 inch in diameter.

21/64" to be exact. Plenty of room for tuning pins.

> The sleeve  in various diameters is spring loaded. Normally the sleeve is
> short enough that the nail will be driven below the surface.
>
> Now the problem with the stock sleeve is that you can't see how deep the
pin
> is being driven.

Unless you do something like just stick a little rubber extension on it so
that you stop when the rubber extension touches the plate.

> The modification was to provide a sleeve that was 3/4 inch longer that the
> driving piston.  Now you could drive pins to a depth exactly 3/4 inch from
> the block or plate.

I would think this to be a tad limiting as there are variations among tuning
pins regarding the exact distance from becket hole to pin top. Also, what if
you were pounding into an open faced pinblock? You would likely want the
coils a tad closer to the block.

> It had a slot so that the string would be free of the sleeve if you were
> put the coil on the pin before driving.  That would prevent the sleeve
from
> damaging the wire.

Interesting. The engineer in you I gather?

> Now consider that you drive the pin in to 3/4 inch height and now you
string
> with three turns. Further driving with this sleeve is impossible.  You
were
> limited to 3/4 inch, remember?  You would have to now change the sleeve to
> drive the pin deeper.  Not practical!

Does this mean that your 3/4" sleeve was NOT spring loaded? If it is not
spring loaded (or even if it is) that hammer REALLY hammers! Would not the
steel tip hammering away on the plate do quite a bit of damage to the plate
finish? It seems to me that my little rubber dangly thing ever so gently
kissing the plate is much safer. (Why is it that we always feel OUR way is
the BEST? - Really, though - just trying to understand and learn!)

> If you have chipped the piano you need to use the schaff tool no:108
(tuning
> pin setter) to prevent the string from going flat.  Just another
operation.
> Time consuming!

I don't understand what you are getting at here. Are you talking about
pounding pins after you chip piano? Why would someone do that?

> I find that driving the pins to a uniform depth and then stringing with
the
> instacoiler is accurate and fast.  I can give a step by step description
of
> the insta coiler procedure I use that works good for me.  Ask me, I'm
tired
> right now. Good night.

Good night. Hey, when you wake up please share your procedure. I must say
that I seem to like putting the coils on my pins first, but I would be very
interested to know exactly how someone else does it differently. Thanks.