touchweight analysis

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:34:49 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Hi Richard. Two questions:
>
> > Stannwoodised actions ?? .. If you do a Stannwood job just right...(and I
> > believe that means employing Jon Pages capstan placement proceedure at
> least as
> > a reference if not a determinant) Then they just are wonderfull if you ask
> me. I
> > have done my third now and I am starting to get a "touch picture" in my
> mind and
> > fingers that seems to result from about a 5.2 KR (all other geometry
> things
> > being taken as pretty close to optimal mind you) The S&S I just got
> finished
> > with at the UiB got rave reviews... they just love it.
>
> David was questioning how the actions feel when the support springs are
> installed on the whippens. Have your three actions been equipped with the
> whippen assist springs? I have never tried a keyboard with those installed.

Two of them have, and the S&S didnt. On the two that had the tension I ended up
with was almost non exsistant...but definatly there... if you get my meaning.
Whippen assist springs can work just fine, regardless of all passion to the
contrary. I am not sure how....neccessarry they are tho... Probably if want a
particular lightness or.... spring (no pun intended) to the feel, or if you are
dealing with a very heavy hammer configuration. Less friction can be achieved
using them.... but in anycase... I dont think its a good idea for them to be set
to more then pretty light tension. At least every time I run into an action with
monster hammers and assist spring tension that would throw a dried pea accross
the room its been a lousy playing action... a truck.

> Regarding Jon Page's capstan placement proceedure. Is this something you
> have that you could share? I do not recall seeing a post on that. Maybe my
> delete finger got over-anxious one day. Sounds very interesting. Jon?
> Richard?  ???????

I am sure Jon would be happy to share that with you, and he is much better at
explaining things in a concise matter then I am so I will defer to him on that.
Works great tho... a typical "make it work" approach. and a good one at that.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.