Kawai pin block to plate flange

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:14:34 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/2001 9:25:20 AM, Paul C. wrote:

<<"............... Kawai grands on his floor. 3 were checked, two new and one
KG 2 about 10 yrs old. All had an "air gap" of about .010-.020" almost to
entire length of the block. ......................">>
 Not atypical at all on many brands.

 <<"A local technician brought this to his attention and we're now wondering
if this a concern.">>
 Hmmm........ would be interesting to know why the subject came up to begin
with?

 <<"The Kawai Grand has been sold in the Midwest area for 20+ years, and to
date I am not aware of any instability problems related to the
above.............. ">>
 Hmmmm...interesting..perhaps this means there is not an actual 'problem'? :-)

<<"Has anyone seen this and had trouble because of it?">>
Many times, on many makes and models. Never has been a problem that was
manifested in any measurable way.

<<"  Is this typically the way Kawais are built and is their design such that
they consider the to be inconsequential?">>
Not only Kawais but many makes to include some American manufacturers. At
least "inconsequential" enough not to make this a mandantory quality control
While there is a plethora of anecdotal/subjective evidence there is not, to
my knowledge, any 'objective' evidence that a 'loose' plate flange/block fit
is detremental to stability in any meaningful way. As a matter of pride in my
workmanship I fit my blocks to the flange as well as I can.......whether or
not this is absolutely needful, technically, I have my very strong doubts.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)