Kawai pin block to plate flange

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:15:26 -0500

> <<"A local technician brought this to his attention and we're now wondering
>if this a concern.">>
> Hmmm........ would be interesting to know why the subject came up to begin
>with?

Yes it would. I've seen it happen this way: The dealer asks his floor stock
tuner why the pianos aren't staying in tune. The tuner, having heard from
other tuners and seminar and convention class instructors that block to
flange fit causes it, went looking for just the "evidence" that was
expected to "prove" the point. Never mind that these are pianos right out
of the crate, and no one in the building has any idea what the humidity
level is at any given time.

><<"Has anyone seen this and had trouble because of it?">>
>Many times, on many makes and models. Never has been a problem that was
>manifested in any measurable way.

Ditto, and ditto - the operative word here being "measurable", with the
flange fit being proven to be the culprit.

>While there is a plethora of anecdotal/subjective evidence there is not, to
>my knowledge, any 'objective' evidence that a 'loose' plate flange/block fit
>is detremental to stability in any meaningful way. As a matter of pride in my
>workmanship I fit my blocks to the flange as well as I can.......whether or
>not this is absolutely needful, technically, I have my very strong doubts.
>My view.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Mine too, on all counts.
Ron N