Is Bigger Better?

Wed, 23 May 2001 08:24:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "dcp2" <dcp2@rmi.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 22, 2001 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: Is Bigger Better?

> Hello Del  -  Within your response you mentioned bringing stringing scales
> up to date on older pianos..    I service a 1923 Steinway D which will be
> restrung in the near future.   What is your opinion about the need for a
> rescaling on a D of this vintage?

We rescale everything we restring. In the case to the D we are now also
fitting them with one of two bridges laid out to accommodate a semi-log
scale through the tenor/treble. There's not much you can do with the bass
bridge without major surgery to the plate and even then it wouldn't be
possible to make enough improvement to be worth the effort.

The benefits of this will be a smoother and more unified tone quality
throughout the scale. It will not be more 'powerful' which shouldn't be of
much concern anyway. (If they really want POWER they can buy a keyboard of
some kind, hook it up to a gazillion-watt amplifier, add seventeen dozen
mega-speakers and blow everybody's ears off the sides of their heads.) It
will have a much better killer-octave region and upper-treble. The bass will
be smoother and you should have a better bass-tenor crossover. Also, with
appropriate hammers, you should have a somewhat wider dynamic range.

Del