Thickness Planer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 07:41:32 -0400

Looking for recommendations for purchasing a thickness planer. I am in the
midst of rebuilding a keybed on an old Knabe grand and the keybed ends were
constructed like a sandwich - hardwoods on the top and bottom and softwood
on the inside - and I gotta do some exacto planing on my replacement lumber.

I have only a small shop and have no significant plans of expanding. I would
have only occasional use for the planer. What do ya'll recommend regarding
size and quality. Will a Crapsman do for me? What size should be sufficient
(I believe they are sold by the width of board they will plane)? How does
quality affect the cut surface of a piece of hardwood? Obviously I need to
be able to send a  piece of oak or hard maple through it.

I want to get what will work properly, but of course, I don't want to spend
more than I have to. I will not be going to Reno this year (boo-hoo-hoo)
because of a budget shortfall - so you know money is tight.