Thickness Planer

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 08:01:20 -0400

Hi Terry,

Looking for a planer, huh?  It's one of those tools that I bought early on
and haven't regretted it.

Starting out, without any real knowledge of what I was buying, I bought a
Delta 12" portable planer.  It's served me well, although it does tend to
have a problem with snipe on the ends of the boards it's planing.  I've
compensated by running sacrificial boards of no consequence through directly
before and after the 'good board'.  I think the model is still available
today for around $275 or so, maybe less on sale someplace.

If I had to replace my planer, I'd be looking seriously at the Dewalt 12
1/2" portable planer.  It's a little more expensive.  If I remember, it was
somewhere in the $375 range.  But it's bigger and 'beefier' and heavier and
has a locking cutter head (reduces snipe) and looks to be a pretty darn good
machine.

Would love to have one of those 15" floor models that weigh about as much as
4 of us put together, but being practical, I think I'll have to stick with
the portable ones.  Besides, you can tuck it away on a shelf (under the one
wing of the table saw comes to mind...) when you're not using it, meaning
that if you're shop space is limited, there's no need to permanantly
dedicate valuable floor space.

It's been a while since I've been "shopping" in a tool store so my opinions
might be dated.  And besides, the credit cards "can't take much more of
this, Captain" (said in the Star Trek accent of Mr. Scott).  :-)

Good luck, and only take a credit card with enough room for that tool and no
more!  Otherwise,...

See ya,

Brian Trout
Slidell, LA