Thickness Planer

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 08:19:57 -0500

Terry
For occasional use it would be cheaper to find a cabinet shop with a knife
and/or abrasive planer. The quality goes up considerably as the machines get
bigger and heavier. I just acquired a 20'' knife planer made by RBI. The
basic package was about $2000.00; with accessories I spent about $2600.00. I
chose this one for its power to weight ratio. The machine is made from
shaped heavy gage steel. I can move it around the shop easily. The 20"/24"
Delta and Powermatic are meant to be placed and bolted down. They are for
the most part single use industrial machines designed to take constant use
for years.The RBI can be converted into an abrasive planer, line saw, and
molder. Several woodworking magazines have done reviews on planers. Do some
reading and find one to fit your needs.

Paul Chick

Terry wrote...........