damper "grain"

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 25 May 2001 00:19:02 EDT

<<I have noticed that APSCO advertises their damper felt for grands
as being "horizontally" cut, while Schaff advertises theirs as
"vertical".  What is the real difference and what are the pro's and cons
of each?

Waiting to learn something else I didn't know.

Geez John this is an easy one!  "horizontally cut" damper felt comes from
Sheep who live in the mountains....by the time they get to the shearing pens
they are so tired from having to run uphill that they lay down to be
sheared...whereas "vertical cut" damper felt comes from realatively lazy
flatland sheep who don't ever have to lie down to rest and are sheared
standing up. :-)

or another explanation is that "horizontal" felt is layered/cut parallel with
the strings and "vertical" cut is cut /layered perpendicular to the strings.
"Vertical" cut felts 'tend' to be of a firmer quality than does "horizontal"
felt.....or have I got that backwards? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)