Concert nightmares/no time

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 09:00:28 -0400

Thanks to all for input.
I will write a letter to all concerned as some suggested...it may help me in the
end.

Most of the comments asked below are explained by the fact there is a strike
of Gallery workers at the venue, the regular technician is out of town, The Lady

that usually manages the stage piano is on strike, and a student is subing for
her,
The student is clued out as to who is who in town. The "production manager" is
a gofer, and is run ragged, and is getting no respect. Everything is wrong with
planning.
In fact they on secured the bad Steinway the day before concerts began, because
the other piano fell through. They booked me as a tech. the day before concerts
began.

As for getting in early.....building opens at 10am....close at 10pm.
Dress rehearsal 10am...hall open 11:30...concert 12....dress rehearsal
2:30....hall open
4:30 concert 5pm....sound check 7:15 hall open 7:30 concert at 8pm, kicked out
at 10...10:30pm. Security I think is being sympathetic to the strike....They say
they
lost the e-mail instructing them to let a technician stay there at night....sure
they did.

For anyone that did not reed the other e-mails...I was kicked out by security,
and could not tune Steinway as scheduled.

It is a one person orginisation...run by the founder, director, chairperson.
She is surrounded by volunteers and I have not been successfully reaching her,
despite attempts. I think she is overwhelmed by it all. Her husband called in
there
personnel tech. after that first night, without calling me, talking to me, or
even talking
with the other artists, who were very happy. A knee jerk reaction to the
steinway not
getting tuned, and having to use Yamaha. The new tech. has destroyed the tuning,

the unisions were all over the place last night...I went to listen. I spoke to
the tech
after and he says the Yamaha CF needs new bass strings, the hammers were
reshaped
badly, it has funny harmonics. Ladys and Gentlemen..this is the nicest Yamaha I
have
had the pleasure to touch. The tech. caring for it is the best in the city. The
Yamaha
tour group from Japan was just there on there annual service tour last week. It
was
an absolute pleasure to tune. I hope he does not start tinkering with the
hammers.
If he does, when the regular staff get back after the strike they are going to
have a
heart attack..

                                            One day this will be funny
                                            But not today