When is a piano..

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 May 2001 11:17:38 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2001 6:33:45 AM, Phil wrote:

<<"..could it be as simple as a re-scaling re-string, replacing keytops,
re-finishing the cabinet..or is it much deeper than that?

I thought it was a good question.">>

It is a good question and perhaps the best way to answer it is to ask another
question..................Is a Samick made, Samick designed, Samick built,
Samick shipped piano thingee with the name of "Bondi" on the fallboard and
plate a Samick or a "Bondi"?  For that matter is the "Eterna" really a Yamaha?

 I think as long as there is no intent to defraud in placing a given name on
a piano thingee then you can do what you want. I think that someone who goes
through an old piano carcass such as Del could rightly, and proudly put some
indentifyer, such as Steinway by D. Fandrich, since the essential personality
of the instrument is vastly different from the original.
  Having said that a 5'1" Wurlitzer will never leave my shop with the name
being anything but Wurlitzer although I have toyed with the idea of getting
some decals made up that say something like "Re-Whatevered by Jim Bryant". :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)