Holiday weekend puzzler

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Sat, 26 May 2001 18:09:42 -0700

I would have guessed it was the cement tuning pegs  in the solid brass =
sounding board!
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 2:11 PM
  Subject: Holiday weekend puzzler

  List,=20

  In this news story from Associated Press, a mishap occurred with a =
Steinway D=20
  during a performance of Beethoven's Triple Piano Concerto.  By the=20
  description given, I can't at all imagine what went wrong.  Anyone =
else have=20
  any ideas?=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20

  Piano Breaks in Yo-Yo Ma Concert=20

  .c The Associated Press=20

   =20
  LOS ANGELES (AP) - Luckily for Yo-Yo Ma, there was a doctor in the =
house.=20

  A concert featuring the cellist had an unexpected delay when a 9-foot=20
  Steinway piano broke in the middle of Beethoven's Triple Concerto.=20

  Although Ma waved his handkerchief inside the piano in an attempt to =
rouse=20
  the ailing instrument, it took a piano doctor waiting in the wings to =
set=20
  things straight.=20

  As the repair expert hustled on stage Thursday to fix the concert =
grand=20
  piano, Ma and other musicians entertained the giggling crowd of 1,800 =
at the=20
  University of California, Los Angeles.=20

  In less than 10 minutes, a tiny platform that holds the keystroking =
levers=20
  was fixed, and the show went on to the applause of the audience, some =
of whom=20
  had paid $500 for their seats.=20