Your(butt flange) choice, please

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 27 May 2001 12:31:13 +0930

Hi Willem,

Sounds like you live in an area where the climate varies a lot. Tighten =
them up in the humid season and there loose in the dry season. I guess =
this is the biggest problem with screws, everything they hold becomes =
loose in all actions. =20
What you are talking about is common with many action including Renner. =
Surprisingly enough the same system on the plastic Kawai flange does not =
come loose, I guess it boils down to how well the action parts were =
seasoned (or dried) the type of timber used and the grain orientation in =
the individual part.

Yamaha is well known for making pianos with different moisture content =
for different climates, maybe there is something in the air in your area =
which is different to the general.

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

  This is what I am talking about. I don't have as many "walking" center =
pins=20
  problems with Hamiltons, or other studios. It seems that every time I =
tune a=20
  Y in a school or church I have to take out the action to tighten butt =
screws=20
  and push center pins back in. To me that is not right. We shouldn't =
have to=20
  keep doing that. That is why I don't like Yamahas.=20

  Willem=20