Damper Guide Bushing Problem

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 13:18:00 -0500

>Does anyone know how to rebush (as if one in Florida and one in Wash., D.C.
>isn't enough!) the damper guide holes on a square grand.

No. It's been so long since I had to try that I have blissfully forgotten
how I did or didn't manage it. If you want to do something similar to what
is there, how about linen strip cut into appropriate widths and fished
through the holes with a string glued to the end? Chase the bushing with a
wire as you pull it in so it will stay open inside.

Or if you want modern cloth, but don't want to bush the whole length, try
this. Drill the holes out to somewhere around 0.200". That would be maybe
#8, 13/64, or 5mm. Tap a tapered punch (nail set) into the hole enough to
open the edge a little so the cloth will go in easier. Cut your bushing
cloth to the right width for the hole, about 0.65", or 17mm. cut the
corners off of the end of the bushing strip. Not a lot, just enough to help
get it started into the hole. Grab yourself a drywall screw. The one I used
to test this out just now is .165" thread width. Butter one side of the
cloth with glue, poke the end into the hole, press the drywall screw in
behind it until the threads catch the cloth and start dragging the strip
into the hole with it, and tap it in as deep as you want it with a hammer.
Turn the screw out and trim the bushing cloth flush.

Or get a wire slightly larger than the damper wire, and grind or file a
point on one end with a stop so the cloth won't slide up the wire.

Like this...

_/l
l  l
l  l
l  l
l  l

... and use it as the inserter. No, I didn't try that one.

Let us know what you finally did that worked to your satisfaction... as
long as we don't have to actually touch the job. <G>
Ron N