Damper Guide Bushing Problem

Ralph & Frances Thorn pianoralph@sympatico.ca
Sun, 27 May 2001 14:27:43 -0400

Good plan, Terry to leave off any reference to squares.

I have had the opportunity (misfortune?) to do this repair and have
developed a fairly acceptable technique.  I drill out the existing
material, sometimes moving a hole or two to miss some strings a bit
better.  Finding material to fit is just trial and error - some real
thin bushing cloth might work, or a visit a fabric store may help the
cause.  If you drill out the hole, you can make standard materials
work by sizing the hole.  I then rip the cloth to a suitable width
(experiment in another hole drilled in a block of wood to set the
width), and cut to length a bit long.  Then I pull the material up
from below, using a length of p wire with a fine hook bent in the
end.  Pull the fabric clear of the top, and cut flush.  Best to do
this procedure before stringing.

Older pianos present some good mental and physical challenges.  Have
fun!

Ralph Thorn
too many squares, not enough triangles