Hammer Staples

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 28 May 2001 08:21:04 -0400

> Schaff used to sell this little fitting for the mototool that was made for
this
> job. I wonder if they still do ?

I'm pretty sure they do. Can I assume from this question that your previous
attempts with the Dremmel were without use of the hammer filing guide?
Considering my limited hand-eye coordination talents, I would regard it as
impossible to do any kind of a decent job freehand (without use of the
guide). Use of the guide makes the unit a completely different tool.

BUT! Please keep in mind. I have found no way to take off "just a wee bit of
felt". You need to have grooves at least one or two millimeters deep
(estimate - grind on a couple junker hammers to see how deep it cuts) to use
this tool, otherwise you will take off too much felt. The only way I have
found to use the Dremmel successfully on hammer shaping is to use the guide,
have deep grooves in hammer, and press down and into the hammer such that
the guide is preventing you from going any deeper, and then just make one
nice quick swish around the perimeter of the hammer felt in one continuous
motion. When you get a feel for it, it really goes smooth and produces a
nice finished result. I have found no good way to "touch up" with the tool -
the few times I have tried to do that is when I start really chewing up
hammers.

Terry Farrell