hammer filing

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 28 May 2001 21:32:22 +0200

Interesting stuff Robert.

As long as we are on about this.. heres a technique I have used (and still
do) on a number of occasions. I do this when I know I am going to both do a
major reshaping, change hammer flange centers, and any other general
maintenance to all hammers.

I take off one hammer at a time. Change the center pin, then reshape the
hammer with a sanding drum mounted to my bench drillpress. I have this jig I
use to hold the hammer so that I can just swing it past the turning drum.
Easy to adjust as neccessary for angled hammers. Then I do any other
maintenance (knuckle bolstering... or whatever looks needed) and put it back
on.

When I am done then I just even things out with 240 grit paper and iron to
finish. After useing the sanding drum and jig a few times you get really
consistant results.

"Robert A. Anderson" wrote:

> I used to use the Dremel with the guide back in the "old days." It was
> certainly fast, and the typical piano I was working on was an old upt.
> with mostly shot hammers. ......

snip snip.....

--
Richard Brekne