Kahane piano breakdown

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 May 2001 17:48:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/28/01 4:36:17 PM Central Daylight Time, jmccorm@tfb.com
(James McCormac) writes:

> The AP report of the piano breakdown during a concert of the Los Angeles
> Chamber Orchestra was mystifying. It is scary how we rely on journalism, be
> it print or broadcast, for information that guides our perceptions on a wide
> range of issues, but when they report on something we know well, they get it
> all botched up.
>     A staff writer for the L.A. Times interviewed the technician and
> reported
> the following:
>     A 9-foot Hamburg Steinway broke down while Jeffrey Kahane was conducting
> from the keyboard a performance of the Beethoven Triple Concerto. From the
> wings and to the rescue came Brian P. Alexander, a partner in Pro Piano,
> described as an international firm that rents high-end pianos. The culprit
> was a broken jack. To quote the article: "The whippen, a tiny platform that
> holds the key-striking levers, was broken -- specifically the repetition
> jack, which allow notes to repeat."

Thank you so much, Jim, for clearing up the mystery.  I just couldn't imagine
at all what must have happened.  I too, have noticed what concerns you:  when
I have been a direct witness to an incident or have direct knowledge about
something I have read or heard about in the media, the story always gets
twisted with a disturbing amount of inaccuracy.

It leads to question such incidents as Pearl Harbor, JFK's assassination,
Waco, the Fed building in Oklahoma, Roswell, NM, even dare I say, the
crucifixion and resurrection.  After all, we can only rely on what someone
else has written.

As for the loose jack tender, a spot of thin CA glue and the kicker would
have it fixed in seconds flat.  This would not be the time to argue the
merits of Hot Animal Hide Glue and the gluepot you need to heat up just to
have it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin