hammer shanks

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 29 May 2001 08:56:59 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Lots of factories sort their shanks by the sound they make, and some even
> >file shanks to conform to some frequency. I have been curious about this
> >kind of thing  for quite some time, but have never managed to find out much
> >about it. Hammer shank voicing I have heard this procedure called.
>
> I've wondered about it for some time too. Which factories among the "lots"
> do this?
>
> Ron N

Well Ron,,, now that you put the question ... I have to admit that this is yet
another example of things one hears through the years from other piano techs
(some who have worked at factories). There was an article in the Euopean Journal
earlier this year about sorting upright shanks by sound.... so all in all... I
just sorta assumed that "lots" of factories do this. Contributes to the impact
sound as the story goes.

But as to exactly which factories do this.... I really havent ever taken the
time to check this out. Doubt seriously I will find the time either. But it
remains that I am curious about just how much benifit is gained by doing things
this way. I suppose its ok to be curious about that now isnt it ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.