Strike Tone not Yielding same beatspeed

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 30 May 2001 10:06:21 +0000

Thank you Kent, Richard, and Bill ,
       The piano where this occurs is my fathers personal S&S B.  The
"significant" increase in beat speed yielded by the strike tone is
similar to the increase found when ascending an ET half step. The
disagreement between strike tone speed and the speed heard when just
playing the two notes was only found on the F2 minor third not the
complimentary major sixth above and not on any other intervals we
tested.  We listened, relistened, listened carefully to the harmonic,
and considered the whole interval sound which Virgil Smith refers to,
and repeated with or without unisons.  The tuning result is a wider 6:3
octave if using the strike tones.
         I found the 7:6 speed much faster on other pianos I tested
today in search of the same phenomenon.  I will test this on my fathers'
B when I get back to it.  The idea of some interference of the 7:6 speed
seems a plausible possibility.
      I can psychologically imagine beat speeds differently when
listening to the whole interval sound vs. zeroing in on a particular
harmonic, or using a strike tone.  I do not normally use strike tones,
but hear beatspeeds instantly without searching for a particular
partial.  Since there were two of us, and it only disagreed on one
interval, I don't think we imagine it.
       I also wonder also if when a string of such low tension is struck
by a hammer,  if the inharmonicity is greatly different than when the
harmonic is excited by a strike tone.

-Mike Jorgensen