Weighing Off An Action

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:31:18 -0800

Hello All: I have hung some new hammers and shanks on the action from a Edmund Gram baby grand.  It has no key weights, and with the new parts the downweight on all the keys except the upper two octaves is in the 60+ gram range. The friction levels in the upper octaves are acceptable, and as the rest of the action has the same parts and has been reconditioned the same way I don't believe that friction is the culprit here.  However, I have never weighted an action before.  I am going to look through the Journal CDs for articles on weighing off an action, and would appreciate any advice or input as well.  Is this a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread, or an opportunity to learn a new skill?  Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT