Severely Cracked Pinblock

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 20:44:13 EDT

musicbydavid@yahoo.com writes:

> The client purchased this as more of an interesting
> piece of furniture, but thought it would be nice if it
> could be played.  It's actually in good shape
> otherwise.  Looks like someone had replaced the
> hammers and strings in the past, probably before the
> pinblock was ruined.
>
> I'm no rebuilder, and don't wish to be.  I'm wondering
> if there are any easy fixes that would be adequate or
> if we're talking a big rebuilding job.  If that is the
> case, is anyone wanting to possibly take it on?  What
> might this cost?  The piano is in Scottsbluff,
> Nebraska, which isn't too far from Cheyenne, WY or
> Denver, CO.

You said it in the paragraph above. The piano is a piece of furniture. Yes,
the pin block can be replaced, but if it is open faced, I have a feeling it
is probably also mortised into the sides. Which makes replacing it even more
difficult. There are two cost factors to consider. One is the actual repair,
which, by my estimation, could run as much as $3000. The other is the
transportation cost. Moving the piano Scottsbluff to Denver is going to cost
them about $1000, if not more, each way. For that kind of money, they would
be much better off buying another grand piano, one that doesn't need a new
pin block.

If the customer has trouble understanding the problem, tell them they just
bought a Tin Lizzy that needs a new engine block. Even if the car looks
great, complete with newly upholstered seats, and even if they did put in a
new engine block, it is still a Tim Lizzy.

Willem