Unwrapped ends of bass strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:23:53 +0100

At 21:17 02/10/01 -0400, Newton Hunt wrote:
>This should show what I mean.
>
>This set was made, by a known provider, from a verified set of
>specifications I supplied.
>
>Needless to say, I, and the rebuilder, are annoyed no end.

Quite rightly so, and yet the error is very regular and consistent, which
shows that either the marker-out was cutting corners or misinterpreting
your data.

On a grand with agraffes, the copper on both strings should be the same
distance from the agraffe, of course.

It has always been English practice to work from a rubbing plus any
patterns and specifications the customer likes to provide.  If a customer
sends me either just the old strings or just a list of measurements, I
charge an extra fee for the added time required to work in this way.  It
would be impossible for this error to occur working with a rubbing.

What you have here is presumably a Steinway with the bridge pins in a
straight line instead of staggered in the normal (proper) way for equal
speaking lengths.  I am guessing that your 'copper line' at the soundboard
bridge is good and that for some reason he has given both strings of the
bichords exactly the same cover length, as would be required in most
pianos.  If you specified differential cover lengths (as you should have)
and he thought he knew better and equalized them, then he has cocked
up.  In the hypothetical case that you specified equal cover lengths, then
he didn't.

Judging from the very blurred jpeg, it looks to me as though the
stringmaker has worked very methodically and exactly on the basis of wrong
measurements.  Wherever the fault lies as to the cover data, any sapient
stringmaker would question any data that resulted in staggered pairs like
that.  If he hasn't learned yet that Steinway grands are queer, he hasn't
been paying attention.

JD