rim laminations

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 01:18:49 +0100

At 15:39 03/10/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> >Yes, me too, at least for a prototype that I'm building at the moment whose
> >primary function is to test the possibilities of a new type of soundboard.
>
>Now this sounds like fun. I'd be interested in anything you'd care to tell.

...and all I can say is that it might fly.  If it does, I don't want it to
be hi-jacked - yet.  It would not have been excluded from the furnishings
of either the 'Titanic' or the 'New York' if it had existed when they built
them.  It has been dreamed of long since by serious piano men, but it will
go in disguise :-)

> > -- so I want better reasons for hating
> >birch.  Can you give me those reasons?
>
>Microscopic splinters? The stuff is as prickly to work as spruce. I prefer
>maple, even though I tend to cut myself on the machined edges occasionally.
>Probably just a klutz, but at least I don't spend evenings picking out
>splinters I can feel but not see.

That's almost as bad a reason as the woodworm!  I hate the smell of the
stuff too, but maple and beech are no less disgusting.  I must have at
least _eight_ thoroughly bad reasons to make one good reason for not using
it -- and that's my final decision!

JD ....who this morning came within closer sight of a substantial pot of
funding and is in danger of actually building a grand piano :-)