String rollers

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:45:20 -0000

Greetings all,

How many among us use the string roller tools for stretching and settling
new strings in a piano?
I have one but rarely use it and I was reminded of it a few days ago when
visiting a local retired tech. (Yes he gave me some piano materials he no
longer required)
He was saying that in his time (UK trained some years back now) it was usual
to really lay into the new wire with a string roller to remove as much
stretch as possible. I tend to chip up daily for a couple of weeks and then
pound in a few tunings with the action in. I've noticed that the strings
settle reasonably well this way without the possibility of over stretching
the wire if that is possible.

Any thoughts here?

Regards,

Graeme Harvey