"Gay clientele" was RE: Erard Grand Piano (OT/long)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:01:05 EDT

Hi, John,

  An old theology buddy of mine from college (yes, that was my undergrad
degree a generation ago), who is currently a hospital chaplain and worships
with a Southern Baptist congregation, did a paper about 15 years ago dealing
with all of the Biblical passages traditionally used to condemn
homosexuality.  His conclusion:  None of these passages can be correctly used
to condemn homosexuality without considerable distortion of their context,
intention, etc.  FWIW, this paper shows that it is not necessary to abandon a
"literal" or verbal interpretation of the Christian Scriptures to be open on
this subject.

I have long ago concluded that when it comes to ethics and morality, my
Christian faith needs to derive its inspiration and meaning from the Gospel,
and its ethical content from not only the Bible, but also from all of the
world we live in, here and now.   Many of today's ethical challenges had not
been dreamed of in Biblical times, and for those which were, the specific
moral instruction found in the Christian Scriptures was nearly always
culturally influenced - challenging those of us who confess the Christian
faith to re-engage and work through this stuff.

  I understand the strength of the "natural law" arguments, one of the
"worlds" from which you derive your position.   I only ask that you consider
that your position is culturally and philosophically based, even in its
Biblical and "natural law" references.

The incredible struggles of the gay community deserve the sharing of our
resources, friendship and support - within and without the faith communities.
  In many ways their contribution to the social good exceeds their numbers -
and that is really irrelevant to this argument except that it is an
affirmation worth repeating, and because you declared its opposite (also
irrelevant).  "Every nation who approves of and is tolerant of homosexuality
has been destroyed" raised the same level of fear, imperative and cultural
hatred which drives religious fundamentalists around the world, some Osama
bin Laden-trained 60,000 who believe America to be the scourge of the earth,
but whose faith-source is one of peace.   The greatness of America - although
not by any means a virtue exclusive to it - is in its deep and abiding belief
in the goodness of all humankind, and in this nation's duty to protect the
rights of all of its citizens.  The historical failures of other nations
relating to moral deterioration cannot be blamed on gender orientation.
Debauchery is debauchery.

  Today's complex challenge is to continue a dialogue (probably not on this
list) which results in laws and customs which support and reflect what most
of society believes:  the reinforcement of modern institutions of marriage
and family, and the building of a social and legal framework which provides a
context for improved psychological, social and physical health for gay and
lesbian people.  This same kind of transformation could take place in faith
communities too - and is taking place in some.  If we and our children
succeed in this, it would really be "good news."

Back to the Erard....

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 10/4/01 6:33:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,