A Business Dilemma

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:01:13 EDT

Dear Folks:

I encountered a strange circumstance recently which may or may not have
bearing on all of our one-on-one dealer relationships, as well as
chapter/dealer relationships. It involves only myself and no other technician
as far as I know, yet.

For years, I have referred people to Fandrich Pianos at the DePaul Music Mart
(absolutely no business relationship with Del and Barbara Fandrich) both to
look for pianos and as a place of business for which I had a modicum of
respect. At one time, actually, I happily agreed to a request by Ed Richards
for him to use space in our shop to prep a piano for a show at McCormick
Place; he used space in our shop for about a week for this purpose. At other
times, I have looked at pianos for clients at their store, and in all cases
but one, advised the clients that the pianos were satisfactory; so far as I
know, deals were made.

Recently, a client called me to look at an Everett console at the Fandrich
store. I called and spoke with Jim, their sales person, and made an
appointment several days in advance to go down to the store and examine the
piano; my client had already been there to see it. The night before I was to
go down, both my client and I were left messages that the appointment had to
be cancelled. When I spoke with my client that next day, he told me that he
had been told that I was not welcome in the Fandrich Piano store because I
had "blown a deal on a Steinway for them", that, "because he sells pianos",
he (I) had disrecommended the transaction. When I called the store, I spoke
to Jim, the sales person who said that he was acting on orders from Ed
Richards; when pressed about the reason, he was unclear about why, and became
quite insulting in the process. I had asked for him to ask Ed to call me at
his first opportunity, but as yet (a week later), I have not heard from him.

As you may or may not know, I (we--Oksana and I) do not buy or sell pianos.
All of our business is by contract, although we at one time experimented with
rebuilding speculatively (not at the time of all of this). When I looked at
the Steinway at Fandrich for a client, we were not selling anything
ourselves, and had we been, I would have recused myself from such an
appraisal as a conflict of interest. I advised the client in that case that
the piano was good, but at the very highest end of the price range and so
should be excellent. I never heard again from him or what the results of his
dealing with Fandrich were.

I had encouraged my current client (for the Everett) to go ahead and think
about it seriously since it was a good price fit and a good use-fit for his
kids (if the piano was any good, as I expected it to be given my prior
experience with Fandrich). My client had already gone out of his way to go
down to Fandrich and look at the piano. My client has decided, only on the
basis of what had happened and through no persuasion from me, not to deal
with Fandrich and to look elsewhere.

This situation, although an insult to a customer and disconcerting to me,
leads me to a few observations of a broader nature, which you may or may not
be inclined to think about for yourself, or for your chapter.

1) If techicians cannot neutrally evaluate pianos for clients in a store
setting, then there is a problem. This neutrality is important on both sides
of the coin, technician and dealer. We very strongly recommend that buyers
have us look at pianos prior to purchase because of the complexity of the
instruments and all of the other factors involved in piano transactions. Is
Fandrich pianos going to make such exclusions a common practice, or decide
whom they like and don't like based on whether the technician always
recommends a transaction. Should we now become wary of being honest?
How should we need to posture ourselves? As the client in this matter said to
me in an email, "I believe that, as a neutral technician seeking to operate
in this market, you have a legitimate gripe that should be aired for your
sake and for the sake of all technicians who want to provide clients with
honest evaluations of pianos."

2) If our chapter arranges to have a chapter meeting at Fandrich (or any
dealer), and Ed Richards (or any dealer) specifically excludes one member of
the chapter from coming into the store, what position does this put the
chapter in?

Just so you know, as well, I sent a copy of this email to Ed at Fandrich last
week so that he might have a chance to respond one on one and keep this
personally between us; I had asked that he recant his story of the events and
apologize for the slander regarding my behavior and for the unprofessional
manner in which he dealt with my client. He sent back the letter unaccepted
and unopened. Ed is also a member of the PTG (associate in the Waukegan
Chapter); while there is obvious recourse to us through the ethics committee
and the disciplinary code, I and Oksana choose not to take this path.

I am quite baffled by all of this. I would welcome any comment or
recommendations on future business dealings from any one of you. I have tried
to do my business as faithfully as I can, and to make ethical judgments as
well as I can.

Regards all.

Paul Revenko-Jones