A Business Dilemma

Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:21:36 -0700

Paul:

I have been in the position on several occasions of "killing" a deal.  Each
time I was hired by an individual (my tuning customer) to evaluate a piano
they wanted to buy.  For this service they paid me a fee.  For that fee I am
obliged to provide and honest and thorough assessment of the instrument.  In
each case there were problems with the piano that had not been disclosed to
the buyer.  Most of the problems involved either soundboard defects, poor
action work, misrepresentations of pianos having been "totally rebuilt" with
a corresponding price, etc..

Though the seller is under no legal obligation to disclose problems, neither
should they be shocked or disappointed if a technician, under obligation to
their customer, gives an honest report.  Ironically, most of the time that
the sellers have been miffed are times when the piano was obviously
misrepresented or grossly overpriced.  The sellers could avoid these
problems if they communicated all the relevant information on an instrument
and priced it accordingly.   I would not necessarily reject a piano with
some problems if those problems were reflected in the price.  I don't wish
to deny any dealer a fair profit but to demand I should compromise my
principles and/or obligation to my client, and to hang a threat over me of
trashing my reputation unless I cooperate with their sale speaks volumes
about their business ethics and personal character.   In short, I wouldn't
do business with them and I wouldn't worry about it.  Businesses like this
tend to dig their own graves.

If the dealer is a member of the guild and is slandering you, then I think
the local chapter should respond in accordance with the bylaws and revoke
his membership.

David Love