String rollers.

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:23:21 -0000

Hello all,

Thanks for the replys thus far. Good points from all.

I failed to mention that I do all the usual seating, straightening,
levelling, becket closing, hitch pin loop closing procedures recommended and
this alone makes a big difference, and I may have exaggerated the number of
"chipping ups" as JD refers to it as, but the main query I had and I didn't
allude to thoroughly enough was... is it possible to over-stretch wire?
I know that newly strung pianos settle down after preparation and a number
of tunings, but it is possible to stretch the wire further still and this
can be demonstrated on old pianos, by simply pressing on a string and
hearing the pitch go down.
What happens to the partials and general overall sound characteristics of a
string that has been over-stretched if this is indeed possible?

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth
New Zealand