A Business Dilemma

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:20:01 -0400

Hi Paul. I had an experience this past spring inspecting a new grand at a
local dealer. The long bridge was riddled with cracks at the bridge pins in
the high treble, producing a plethora of prominent false beats. You could
simply gently press a brass rod to the top of individual pins and the note
would completely clear up. The dealer leaned over the piano and proclaimed
"I don't see any cracks, and what you are hearing is the rich, full, Brand X
sound - many technicians only like that simple Yamaha sound because they are
easier to tune - but this piano has a sound more rich and much more complex
than a Yamaha" (each string sounded more like ten trash can lids being
struck at once, rather than a piano string). Well, some of that may well be
true, but this particular piano had BAD false beats. The prospective
purchaser decided against the piano and bought a new M&H instead. I have not
run across the dealer since then (hey, he was likely busy shipping the piano
back to the factory???......or maybe not). We sometimes have our chapter
meetings at that shop. I hope the dude is a bit more level-headed than your
man from Music Mart. The guy insisted that his piano was A-OK, and I held my
ground (believe me, with my little experience, I was totally less than
confident in my own mind). I had to force myself to think totally
analytically, and understand that I had diagnosed the problem correctly. All
we can do is call 'em like we see 'em.

In your case it appears that the only thing you did that the dealer has a
beef with is to be honest with the prospective purchaser about the range of
prices for similar pianos. You may have covered this with your client, but
just in case - I usually explain to the client about prices for pianos
generally being lower in a private sale and higher in a dealer sale. I will
suggest that the private sale is "as-is" and it is clear that you need to be
able to evaluate the piano condition - even if the piano does not have
defects, it may be lacking in routine maintenance. The dealer used piano
"presumably" has been "gone through" and they will offer some sort of
limited guarantee if you press them for it (30 days, whatever). Not that
most dealers do in fact "go through" the piano that I have seen, but that is
part of the justification of the higher price. If the tech can report of the
dealer used piano that it is free of defects and is in good regulation,
etc., such a report may in fact justify a price at the higher end of the
spectrum.

I have only sold one piano. A 15 year old Kimball stencil spinet (excellent
condition case, belly, etc.). I bought it for $200 and sold it for $1,300.
Was the price at the high end of the spectrum? You bet! BUT, I completely
refelted the keybed (mice?) filed hammers, full key level/dip and
regulation, brought up to pitch, and a couple tunings in my shop to
stabilize, and delivered it. I gave the happy new owners two free in-home
tunings, and a one year guarantee to fix anything that goes wrong with it.
Did she get a good deal? I think she did just fine. If I were inspecting
this piano on a dealer's floor at that price, what would I report? I would
tell the client that the piano is priced way at the top of the range, and
she/he could find a similar piano in a private sale for perhaps as little as
$400 (I see 'em all the time). HOPEFULLY, I would also point out that the
private sale piano may need an inspection, pitch raising, tuning, key
leveling, regulation, delivery, etc. I think it boils down to whether or not
the dealer has "gone through" the piano to justify the typically higher
dealer used piano price.

I could go on and on. I'll just pull the plug here. Just a few thoughts.
Hope your situation works out.

Terry Farrell