A Business Dilemma

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:54:18 -0400

It is my policy not to tell the seller anything about any piano I
inspect for a buyer who has hired me for my opinion(s).  If asked by the
seller what I think I gently say, "Since I am being hired by the buyer
it is unethical for me to tell you of my observations."  I fill out a
form listing each aspect of the inspection which I give the buyer for
their records (and mine) and discuss the piano out of ear shot of the
seller.  If the customer does purchase the piano, re-negotiate the deal
or does not purchase that is their affair.  I was hired for my opinions
and observations, I provide those and the rest is the responsibility of
the customer.  I do tell the customer that I will not recommend any
piano I am not willing to service.  With that understood the decision is
the buyer's.

The sellers must understand that no deal is made until the check is
cashed.  The seller must also understand that some pianos are better
than others and that a customer wise enough to request the services of a
technician should be moved to s superior instrument instead of an
inferior one.  Some people expect a cradle to grave security.  Such does
not exist and it is a waste of time and energy to try to sell something
to a buyer who doesn't want it.  It is wisest to find another sucker.
Move on.

I once worked for a dealer who sold "rebuilt" and Korean stuff.  It was
amazingly difficult to sell those pianos.  After I regulated and tuned
and serviced one it would be gone before it could reflect the potential
of the others around it.  I was always amazed at the astuteness of the
buying public and the lies sales people would say to try to make a
sale.  Humans are such amazing critters.

I have always said that a satisfied customer will get you two and a
dissatisfied one will cost you ten.  This goes both ways.  Am I likely
to recommend a dealer that does such stuff to me?  I think not.  Turn
about is fair play, so to speak.

It is such a shame there are such stupid anal voids in the world. :(

Well, just consider the source and move on.

I hope we all have a wonderful and safe weekend. :)

		Newton