String rollers.

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:17:12 +0100

At 13:33 05/10/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> > I also straighten
> >all wire before installing and never use it straight from the coil.
>
>I've heard a lot through the years about how necessary this was, but I was
>never able to detect any difference one way or the other. Mine go straight
>from the coil to the piano.

Yes, I don't think it makes any detectable difference, though that bend can
never be eliminated on the piano unless you apply infinite tension.  By the
same token, even a wire that has been "perfectly" straightened with respect
to itself will always dip towards the middle by the force of gravity, so
the only way to have a straight string is to leave it bent just the right
amount to compensate for the downward pull of the earth and make sure to
fit it as a hill and not a valley.  Stuff for maniacs.

The reason I straighten the wire is that I have a $1000 straightener
sitting there for the bass string work and it would be silly not to use it,
because it makes the job so much more convenient.

JD