Chipping )was: String rollers)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:15:46 -0400

Thanks for the info John. I have a couple questions on some of your points.

"First, I put a little tension on it by lining up the beckets so they're as
neat as possible."

Let me see if I am understanding you correctly. The piano has just been
strung by the rebuilder, but strings left at real low tension. Of course
he/she cut wire accurately so that beckets would line up, but you are just
making any small adjustments by turning the pins to align beckets.???

"Then I start at A4 with my 3-inch long hardwood pick/chip, pulling up
string pairs evenly with no overpull keeping the beckets aligned, and work
by octaves first down, then up then back down, again watching the beckets."

Now this is where you are loosing me. Are you suggesting that there is some
way to improve becket alignment during the chipping process? Or are you
simply stating that you are careful to increase tension on string pairs in
such a way that you don't slip the wire around the hitch pin and cause
uneven beckets that way?

"......make sure it still matches the original rubbing......"

Several posts have mentioned string "rubbings" what are these? A recent post
talked of rubbings for bass strings. I have made measurements, and what I
think is appropriately called a scale stick to reposition strings. But what
is a rubbing?

Thanks

Terry Farrell