ET- Expanded Temperament..kinda long.

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:12:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Bondi <tito@PhilBondi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: ET- Expanded Temperament..kinda long.

Phil said.....

| > <|Then I play D4-G4-A4 simultaniously..if this is sounding smooth,

---ric said
| > It helps to list the bottom note of the interval or chord first.  I
think
| > you mean
| > G3-D4-A4.

Phil B said......
|  ..no..I meant what I said. Why do you question that?..no one else did.

---ric M replies....

    when you sound D4--G4--A4  simultaniously I am wondering how that would
appear on the music staff?.  I question that because I have never heard
that particular chord used to see if it sounds smooth in temperaments.
You are playing a major second  G4--A4 with a suspension below that being
D4.  Maybe the D4 below is not a suspension but I have never heard of using
a chord with a major second as tests in temperaments.
    There may be a mix up of note naming conventions.  The convention I use
comes from the first C on the piano (on the bass end) being called C1.
This C used to be the first note on the piano.   Later on when the piano
expanded to A below C1, that note had to be named A0.  Some modern pianos
go down to F0.  Counting up from C1,  C4 signifies middle C.   C5 is the
octave above Middle C.  Thus the note we tune to A440 is called A4.     So
G4--A4 is a major 2nd.
---ric