OT Connectivity Speed Tests

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:07:11 -0400

Some may find the information I acquired this past week in trying to get my
internet connection functional interesting.

A few sites to check your connection speed are:
www.toast.net
www.ba-hss.com

At <toast.net> I found my 'high speed' DSL service would only get up to 25K
(dial-up speed). DSL/Verizon were having so
many problems that the other site was down. This week the <ba-hss.com>
became accessible again.

I switched back to cable and my connectivity speed took a quantum
leap.  I'm not saying that DSL is not good, it's just
that the events of last month put a strain on their system since there were
switching stations in the WTC and across the street.
I hope they relocate in a place which does not have a high profile. (Don't
build targets)

Another test is a routing tracer utility. Since this proved that my problem
with connectivity on DSL was beyond their
gateway I decided to switch. Friends with cable were not experiencing delays.
The routing test:
At a Dos prompt type:  tracert www.ptg.org	(or some other website)
This will display the route your signal travels enroute to its destination.
My tracer showed that within the DSL router system
the speed was low (good) but once it left their gateway the speed
approached 100 and over for each hop, which they had
no control over.

To compound matters, MediaOne's e-mail server was down all week but came
on-line today.  I have requested that my former
e-mail address be reassigned (following a service termination, they 'hold'
the address for three months - I was disassociated for 2 mo).
So until it is released, it is as in my sig file.

Best Regards, Happy Computing...
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net