Speed Tests

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 09:14:28 -0600

Hi Jon,

After I repaired his computer as part of a piano tuning a client of mine
sent these to me:

<  http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/  >
    Excellent; easiest to use & understand

<  http://bamazed.bconnected.net/  > Another good one; Telus in AB
   It allows you to test your speed using several different sizes of files!
   One right after the other -- quite useful.

<  http://www.info-techs.com/speedtest.html  >
   Another good one -- entirely automatic!!  Really easy to use.
   Good explanations too.

<  http://www.testmyspeed.com/  >
    Quite good; links to one speed test site in Canada & more world-wide.

<  http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/  >

<  http://www.dslreports.com/stest  >
This one above, gives two test links.

<  http://www.toast.net/performance/  >
This one above, gives several test links -- use the topmost 2 (free)

If you want more, or have the time, this next link has a list of
105 speed test links!!!  Scroll 1/2 way down the page for the list
[ignore the glitzy graphics at the top of the page].
<  http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm  >
Some of the 105 are in the list above -- and no, I have not checked
them all <grin> -- some might be dead links.

For some fun, check out these "fun tests" (movie clips sites)
that really show off your high speed:
< http://www.mirror-image.com/services/streamdemo.html >
   You need the RealPlayer (a free download link is given)
    The "Top Gun", "Apollo 13" and Mummy clips are fantastic!!
    Chose several speeds from lowest to 500 or 1500 (T1) Kbps speed
    to flex your link's capabilities.  At the 1500 speed, my actual download
    speeds peaked at 3+Mbps [as measured "live" using AnalogX's
    "NetStat Live" utility (free at
    < http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm >

If you've enjoyed those neat BMW ads on TV, you can see longer versions
on line at:
< http://www.bmwfilms.com/site_layout/splash.asp >
  You can use a PC's built-in MS Windows Media Player or the
  RealPlayer or Quicktime.   Highest speed you can choose is 300 Kbps.
  Only drawback -- you need to give them your name & email addy [but
  can decline any emails from them]....  I had no problem with giving this
  to BMW....

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/