Verdigris fix

Vilsnyder@AOL.COM Vilsnyder@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 15:21:58 EDT

Susan Kline's comments on Verdigris are on target. Moisture accelerates the
process. But the condition is caused by the placing of a brass CenterPin in a
wool
Bushing which contains Lanolin, a natural oil from the sheep. Both times that
I spent working in a program for Techs at the Baldwin Factory at 1801 Gilbert
Ave.,
Cincinnati, Ohio, I was educated to the fact that theytook great pains to
wash the wool cloth in a chemical bath to get the oil out of the wool. I have
observed over the years that these Centers were much more stable (because of
shrinking the cloth)
and did not develop the Verdigris problem.
On the Verdigris problem itself, we worke many years ago with a chemist from
duPont in trying to come up with a remedy.  Two of the chemicals recommended
at that time were a product called C.R.C., which dryed the moisture out of
the cloth &
Xylene, which dissolved the Verdigris.  Neither were long-term solutions.  We
also
completely took an Action & took all of the Centerpins out, reamed &
hand-fitted
and repinned with plated Pins every thing, and two years later, the vAction
became sluggish. This stuff comes back to haunt you. Also, my wife helps do
this work and she said we should not do this procedure anymore as it was so
timeconsuming that we could "starve to death" better some other way.  Over
the teaching years we have always advised Technicians to try & sell new parts
in the work & it would work out
better over the long haul. We even took some Verdigrised wool out of a few
Centers &  tried scrubbing the Verdigris with a toothbrush & a chemical & the
Verdigris had "eaten" into the Wool fibres to the point that the wool was not
stable to repin. We
have some good "blown-up " pictures of this that we have shown in the
classroom
trying to convince Techs to not waste time in repinning.  Anyway, how can you
hope to get the Pinning friction uniform if the wool Bushing is damaged.?
Hope
this can help.    Willis Snyder