Spruce Chase/New Sitka supplier

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 14:11:37 +1000

Jeannie,

Rick Wheeler's email address is;

rick@roselandpiano.com

mailto:rick@roselandpiano.com

http://www.roselandpiano.com

Thanks for bringing this info to our attention Dale.

>  In Dec. I  entered a posting on the topic of looking for a Sitka
>spruce /soundboard panel source. As I really like working with Sitka
>and have had excellent tonal results I was anxious to find either
>raw wood or ready to work panels. Rick Wheeler of Roseland Piano
>company (the guy who makes new key sets),

I met Rick at Reno and inspected his keysets. They were very well
made. He also makes a custom style of black key with a pin-line of
maple inserted so as to follow the contour of the black key top. A
very pretty touch for that special instrument.

An image of Ricks custom black keys can be found at;

http://www.roselandpiano.com/keytour/pages/k2.htm

And they look even better in real life.

Rick will certainly be on my short list of possible key makers for
our coming 230 cm piano.

>and I have talked extensively about finding a reliable source of
>wood and or producing panels ourselves.
>  As it turns out those conversations have motivated Rick ,who has
>the knowledge ,expertise and facility to produce boards, to commit
>to a new Premium sound board making enterprise.
>      He has been working with the wood broker for the former Stein &
>Volk /Sound Woods soundboard panel supplier in McCall Idaho. The
>Wood broker  has been able to locate adequate sources of Sitka &
>Engelman Spruce as well as a Sitka cross breed.
>    Production will start soon.  Rick says the quality of the premium
>Sitka will knock your eyes out. My previous experience with panels
>from the now defunct Sound Woods Co.  were by far the finest example
>of Sitka boards I have ever witnessed.
>    Ricks goal is to provide premium quality boards to independent
>technicians. He is currently working on perfecting his tongue and
>groove assembly techniques for production as opposed to the standard
>butt joint configuration. This joinery technique increase the
>strength and durability of the panels and resists compression
>swelling around the glue joints which as  you know is where most of
>the cell damage occurs in soundboards exposed to excess humidity
>over time. Rick is also a piano tech./ rebuilder himself and knows
>what the guys in the trade want. What a relief.
>    It's always great for our business to have new
>suppliers including soundboard suppliers as there aren't that many
>of them.
>   If any are interested in placing an order Call Rick at
>1-503-654-1888 in Milwaukee ,Oregon.
>
>      Best----Dale Erwin

Ron O.
--