Interesting Client: OT

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:07:24 -0700

    On Saturday, I had to go out to do the first tuning on a K&C 52" =
upright for a Mr. Che. He had gotten one before that had a funny buzz in =
it, and I got sent out to see what was going on with it. If you =
remember, I posted a note on the list about it; the soundboard had come =
unglued at the top of the frame. He requested me because he appreciated =
my willingness to find the problem and send that piano back, rather than =
blow him off with B.S.
    Anyway, I was there doing a pitch raise and fine tuning, a little =
voicing, string leveling etc., and he asked me if I'd like some tea that =
he had bought in China. He goes back every five years or so. So, I asked =
him about the conditions that the people live in there.=20
    Turns out, he was one of the demonstrators in Tiannamen Square! He =
said that things were not as bad as some people in the press here made =
out, but they were during the cultural revolution. Mostly, they would =
arrest the people who were organizers, and left most of the people who =
were at the demonstrations alone. Two months after that event, he was =
able to get his papers to leave the country. He said that he was working =
at the University there at the time of the demonstration.=20
    Small world. It was nice getting a different view on things.=20

Kevin Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com