OT - Scarves for Solidarity- Monday October 8th

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:43:15 -0700

Friends,

I do not generally forward things of this nature.  However, these are
extra-ordinary times, which require extra-ordinary responses.  The
following was sent to me by a friend and colleague, whose angst and concern
is reflected in the thoughts forwarded below:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Palo Alto Weekly ran an article about Susan Solomon,a Palo Alto woman
who started wearing a headscarf to see what would happen.  She was inspired
to do this by the story of the Danish king who wore the yellow star which
Nazis required all Jews to wear.  Almost all Danes joined in.  "The Jews
were protected by the many".  Solomon found that she was harassed but
resolves to wear the scarf until Muslim women in this area are no longer
afraid.  See the story at:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/paw/paonline/weekly/morgue/2001/2001_10_03.scarf.h
tml

I find this story very inspiring but also very frightening.  I've been
struggling to find the courage to follow Susan Solomon's lead.  But a
friend has just sent me the following email about Scarves for Solidarity on
Monday, Otober 8th.  The Interfaith Peace organization is asking women to
wear head
scarves on Monday, October 8th as a sign of solidarity with Muslim women
who have been harassed and intimidated in America since September 11th.

I can do this for one day.  I hope you will consider doing this for one day.

-------------------------------

MONDAY OCTOBER 8, 2001
ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES

Scarves for Solidarity Day

This activity of peace and justice is being promoted by Jennifer Schock who
is  a Unitarian in Virginia.   It was incubated by many people all over the
country
including Rabbi Arthur Waskow, a peace activist in Philadelphia, Dr.
Susannah Heschel of Dartmouth and
Sister Hilal Sala of the S.F. Bay Area.

Women, regardless of their faith, across the United States plan to wear a
scarf or hat to cover their hair on Monday October 8, 2001. Like friends
who shave their heads in solidarity with cancer patients, women everywhere
will wear the "hijab" and dress piously in solidarity and concern for
Muslim women who have been harassed or who have been afraid to leave their
houses because of ignorant hatred.

Men can participate too.  Many Muslim men wear kufis, fez, African and
Asian style pill box hats, knit caps, turbans and even backward baseball
caps to cover their heads in piety.

Jennifer says:  "The hijab (scarf) is worn outwardly to show the inner
hijab ofcompassion, honesty, and love which is carried in the hearts and
souls of
Islamic men and women alike.  Simply cover
your hair for a day.  It is a symbol of love."

Please spread the word.  For more information on this project, please visit
www.interfaithpeace.org

        Salaam --  Shalom --  Paz -- Peace

If you can follow the link (which may wrap, and have to be typed in or
copied the old-fashioned way to work), you will find the story from the
Palo Alto Daily to be nothing short of horrifying.  We cannot hold the rest
of the world up to standards at which we, ourselves, fail so miserably.  If
we are truly to defeat terrorism anywhere, we must begin within our selves
- and take responsibility for how we live our lives.

I am not a king, Danish or otherwise; and I do not have a head scarf; but
tomorrow I will be wearing something to cover my growing tonsure - and I
urge you to consider doing so also.

With every best wish and deep regard to all.

Horace