Weird Frontweights

Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:55:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 08, 2001 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: Weird Frontweights

>     Any weighting off of keys, if done on an individual basis, must first
> have all of the other problems of friction, regulation, etc. taken care of
> first. So many of the manufacturers don't seem to be able to do this.
>     So, if a piano is made at the factory with these obvious shortcomings,
> and then the keys are individually weighted on an action in that
condition,
> when it IS put into the proper, well-regulated condition, then it seems to
> me that the key weighing would no longer be correct, and in fact would
> probably be all over the place.
>     I can't hardly remember the last time I saw a Steinway come from the
> factory which didn't need at least six hours of finishing. The concept of
> individually weighing off of keys seems to be a very valid one to me, but
> while doing it, one would have to constantly be asking oneself; "Why is
this
> one so much different than that one?"
>     Hope this isn't inappropriately simple.

No, it really is that simple.

Most, if not all, factory 'individual key weighting' is done to make up for
either improper action geometry or erratic action center or key friction.
Mostly, the latter.

Neither should be acceptable at the factory level. To attempt, then, to
cover up either of these problems by adding random amounts of lead to random
keys is unacceptable.

To then call this process a feature is an indication of the contempt the
manufacturer has for both the end user and the technician who ultimately
will be called in to fix the mess.

Del